Lost Tracks - Old Dominion Speedway
The Old Dominion Speedway is a motorsport facility in Thornburg, Virginia. Already in 1952, the asphalted track was built, but it lagged the schedule strongly behind. The safety fences were erected on the opening day. After that should follow a drag strip, which was even designed as a dirt track at the beginning.
But while the NASCAR should increase the popularity of the course in the following years, it was rather the Late Model Stock Cars, for the Old Dominion was known. The class was created more or less on this route and should be based here until 1979. While several series have been created within the class, the late models should become the fastest growing class of the NASCAR. Even before the first race, skeptics have doubted the concept, today the late models of oval-sport are indispensable.
Meanwhile, the NASCAR drove seven races between 1958 and 1966, with Ned Jarrett and Richard Petty the only drivers with more than one win. But while the Old Dominion and the NASCAR got a boost, so did the problems. The vehicles became faster and the spectators grew larger. The track operators were forced to separate from the Cup because the track could no longer meet the requirements.
The original Late Model class was to become today's Xfinity Series from 1980 and eventually became too big and too fast. Thus, only the regional series remained, but filled throughout 2012, the audience ranks. Finally, more and more residents have complained about the noise at the track, so that one had to stop racing in 2012.
However, the operators wanted to remain true to motorsport and were able to purchase a new site in 2013 on which the new Dominion Raceway 'should arise. The old track was demolished in 2015, since 2016, the new track is ready and organized as usual well-attended races in the smaller series. In addition to a copy of the oval and the drag strip, there is now also a road course and larger and more modern bleachers.